top of page

Mini Dragon Group (ages 6-7)

Public·26 members
Myron Markov
Myron Markov

"The Wire" Took(2008) _VERIFIED_

The critical response to the third season remained positive. Entertainment Weekly named The Wire the best show of 2004, describing it as "the smartest, deepest and most resonant drama on TV." They credited the complexity of the show for its poor ratings.[73] The Baltimore City Paper was so concerned that the show might be cancelled that it published a list of ten reasons to keep it on the air, including strong characterization, Omar Little, and an unabashedly honest representation of real world problems. It also worried that the loss of the show would have a negative impact on Baltimore's economy.[74]

"The Wire" Took(2008)

Download File: https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Furlcod.com%2F2ug1DL&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3uZh5bk9wOJx3vQR_s54No

However, Leigh Claire La Berge found that "in the popular press [...] the level of critical anticipation that greeted that season was matched only by the immediate disappointment that followed it", noting that the season is The Wire's most explicitly didactic, the one that most obviously comments on the series's own fictionality, and the one with the least realistic plot.[29] Thus in reviewing the first seven episodes of the fifth season David Zurawik of the Baltimore Sun said that while "there is greatness in the seven episodes," the major newspaper storyline "contain[s] nothing that matches the emotional power and sociological insight of the show at its best."[30] La Berge argued that it is precisely the fifth season's capacity to explore the social construction of realism itself that is the season's most important characteristic.

On October 28, 2007, HBO aired a preview of the fifth season featuring interviews with Lance Reddick, Tom McCarthy, David Simon, Clark Johnson, John Doman, Seth Gilliam, Wendell Pierce and Dominic West and footage from the fifth season. Reddick introduced the idea of the fifth season being about the media. McCarthy stated that it examines how the media "reflects, informs and manipulates". Simon observed that "the more graphic our crime, the more we like it, the more we pay attention. There is a little bit of a mockery of that in what we've constructed for season five". Johnson noted that newsroom storyline is fascinating and "a great way to end the series". Doman warned viewers to expect "complexities and complications". Gilliam says that there is "creativity" in how people approach their jobs. Pierce noted that all the characters have to make choices. West revealed that McNulty goes outside the system due to his lack of faith in his superiors. Simon concluded by saying that the season is really about "just how far you can go on a lie". The footage included scenes of Greggs being quizzed by reporters; reporters reflecting on why crime in certain areas is not covered; low morale in the police department; Carver briefing Western district officers; McNulty drinking; William Moreland refusing to get involved with something and Fitz telling McNulty that "you guys are shut out across the board".[5]

It was a bit weird that there was so much "___ is the new ___", I think part of that is seeing the parallels, and part from reading Dominic West's interview with the L.A. Times wherein he said there were characters who would become "the next Omar," etc., without revealing which characters he was speaking about.Loved the ep, bittersweet as it was (and several of the characters' fates were bittersweet, if not just bitter). Glad to see Bubbs doing so well--I thought I'd read that Bubbs was based on a real person who died and that Simon was going to be true to that person's fate, and for once I'm glad my memory failed me! Phew!My fave moments were Bubbs going up the steps and Slim capping cheese (I cheered), and I also found Commissioner Valchek to be a hilarious bit. I was pissed about what happened to Alma and Gus vs. Templeton, though (wanker!). Still, kudos to you, Mr. Simon, for your wonderful achievement.

@Anonymous"what's the point of writing this newspaper piece about me;" why put in the good and the bad stuff about me?" And Fletch answers, "Because just maybe somebody reads it and thinks about it, and maybe thinks something different." Maybe that applies to Bubs's sister, but it certainly works for the Wire five seasons too, and DS opinion on "the war on drug"!

"adding Nerise saying 'Commissioner Valchek' when it was clear without it, etc. Mostly just weird, though some also seemed like unnecessary changes to explain things for idiots."Idiots need love too, right? I don't see the problem with that.I understand peoples' gripes about the so-called "parallelitis," such as Dukie becoming "the new" Bubbles. However, it seems consistent with The Wire's overall message and agenda. Sure, people are individuals, and for the sake of fiction, characters are individuals with their own personalities, idiocyncracies, etc. But what The Wire comes down to is that it makes no difference once that individual is swallowed up by his surroundings. Peoples' environments, circumstances, institutions seem to overwhelm people, no matter how well-intentioned, brilliant, or strong. Dukie, though all of those things, fell victim to circumstance. In the end it doesn't matter how unlikely turning into an addict seems for Dukie as a person. The bottom line is that it can happen to anyone, and that it happens to so many. If the show is truly about seeing and understanding, then to see Bubbles as an addict then a former addict isn't enough. We have to know how and why he became an addict in the first place, particularly since he is so charismatic and brilliant as an individual. Dukie showed us in a heart-wrentching fashion. If you don't understand how Dukie's fate on the show ends with him tying off a vein, then you don't understand the message of The Wire.

"I just figured Fat Face Rick is now the head of the co-op, and Slim is working as his number two"Makes sense. I don't think Slim was lying when he said he wasn't "the executive type" (or something like that at the last co-op meeting.) Slim seems more like the maintainer of the rule, rather than the ruler.

"Makes sense. I don't think Slim was lying when he said he wasn't "the executive type" (or something like that at the last co-op meeting.) Slim seems more like the maintainer of the rule, rather than the ruler."Good points by Plot and Alan, but my rationale behind that is Slim popping Cheese in front of everyone was a "leader" type move where he was asserting himself.Next time you get a hold of Mr. Simon i would appreciate if you asked him about this Alan! 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

bottom of page